Here are some managment tips for exchanging Feedback in a constructive way.
Feedback is not:
- Giving advice
- Describe the context
- Describe the behaviour of the person and on yourself
- Describe the impact on yourself
- Focus on what is changeable
- Be honest, build confidence, and make sure there is a mutual respect.
- Tell the person you’re not judging him/her.
- Balance negative feedback with positive feedback.
When receiving feedback, bear in mind these tips:
- Consider feedback as a gift.
- Seek to understand, not agree, justify or defend.
- Listen, ask questions and reformulate.
The good news is that managers who care about people are more likely to inspire people and provide meaning and in the end all stakeholders are better served.